Most alloy wheels will fit a Ford Transit van if you wish to add them to your van. The Calibre, Borbet, BK Racing, Bola, and Ronal models will fit perfectly. You can fit other alloy wheel models to a Ford Transit van; it depends on the style that you are looking for.
Many Ford Transit owners decide to add new wheels to their van for a number of reasons. Alloy wheels are a very common option as they are very popular, good-looking, and dependable for heavy-duty vans.
If you are looking to replace the wheels on your Ford Transit van, alloy wheels are a great option.
Many Kinds of Alloy Wheels Fit Ford Transit Vans
Alloy wheels come in a diverse range of sizes, designs, colors, and models, making them a great option to go with. Here are some alloy wheels that can be fitted to a Ford Transit van:
- Calibre model T-Sport size 7,5J x 18, PCD 5×160 mm
- Borbet model CW3 size 7,5J x 18, PCD 5×160 mm
- Ronal model R44 size 6,5J x 16, ET 60mm, PCD 5 x 160 mm
- Wolf Design GTR size 8J x 20 offset 50 mm, PCD 5 x 160 mm
- Bola model B20 size 8J x 20, PCD 5 x 160 mm
- Axe model EX14 size 8J x 20, offset 50, PCD 5 x 160 mm
- BK Racing model 191 size 6,5J x 16, ET 50 mm
- Fox model Viper size 6,5J x 16, ET 45 or 50 mm, PCD 5 x 160 mm
Alloy wheels come in a huge variety of different sizes and styles, as well as colors to best suit your vehicle. This is part of why this kind of wheel is so popular when replacing the wheels on any vehicle.
Ford Transit wheels tend to be on the smaller side, which is a bit unappealing to the eye when it comes to such a large vehicle. This is part of why some Ford Transit owners choose to replace these wheels.
Alloy wheels provide the perfect alternative as they come in such variety, and many models can fit a Ford Transit. This makes it much easier to replace the standard steel wheels with little to no hassle.
Ford Transits Can Have Tires as Big as LT245/75 R16
If you wish to add larger wheels to a Ford Transit, you can safely do so to a certain extent. The largest size considered safe to use are tires as big as LT245/75 R16.
This is the largest wheel size that you can add without altering the pinch weld or plastic wheel rim. If you do want to go bigger, you will be looking at a far more extensive job than just replacing the tires on your van.
You will also want to consider the downsides to adding such large tires. Such as creating less traction on the road, unbalancing the vehicle, and making it more likely to roll over in the instance of an accident.
These are just a few things to consider before replacing the wheels on your Ford transit with something much larger.
They Have Small Wheels to Reduce Power Loss
Ford Transit wheels are known for being strangely small when you look at how large the van is overall. This can look a bit strange and even be very unappealing for some drivers.
Despite how odd this may look to some, there is a reason for these smaller wheels on Ford Transit vans. They are smaller so that less power is lost when rotating the tires.
This helps to reduce the amount of power lost getting the tires rotating at the correct speed to get going. It also helps to reduce the torque required to get the van moving again.
Because Ford Transits are built to be light commercial vans, it makes sense that their tires are made to be smaller. They are not off-road vehicles and are made to be transporting vans that do not need to go off-road.
This also helps with fuel mileage as less power is drawn from the engine helping to save on gas overall.
Many people buy Ford Transit vans wanting to use them for off-road purposes. If that is the case, the tires will need to be replaced to create an accrual off-road vehicle.
Small tires are not good off-road as they create a much bumpier drive and there is more risk of the van becoming unbalanced. Alloy wheels are also not a good option for off-road uses as they are made from softer metals than steel.
Alloy Wheels Pros and Cons
Despite their popularity, alloy wheels have their ups and downs like any other wheel option. They are not perfect and definitely have their issues along with their benefits.
Before you decide to replace the wheels on your Ford Transit with alloy wheels, there are some things to first consider. This is not a decision you want to casually jump into without doing your research.
Especially since alloy wheels are on the pricey side, and you don’t want to end up second-guessing your decision. So, before you make this decision in regards to your wheels, here are some pros and cons to consider.
- Alloy wheels are significantly lighter than steel wheels, which can help reduce the weight of the entire vehicle. They also make handling and steering a Ford Transit feel much easier and less like you are fighting with the vehicle.
- Alloy wheels are very visually appealing and look great on just about any vehicle. This is a big improvement from Ford Transit’s usual wheels and can make your van look much nicer.
- These kinds of wheels are also better heat conductors and were formulated specifically for that purpose. This helps alloy wheels dissipate heat better than steel wheels are capable of doing.
- Since they are also lighter than steel wheels, they provide better fuel economy. Lighter wheels create less weight and less pull on the van, allowing it to put its power towards moving forward with less resistance.
- Alloy wheels are also better at braking as they are lighter and do not add as much resistance to the brakes.
- Because of the metals they are made of, they do not corrode or rust in the elements. This is one of their best features and can withstand various degrees of climate.
- Because alloy wheels also dissipate heat, this lengthens your tire’s life as they tend to wear out faster if they are hot. This helps to keep your tires cooler for longer periods of time, lengthening their life.
- They also fit tubeless tires as they are completely airtight.
- Alloy wheels have a more complex process behind how they are made, this raises the price significantly. This is why they generally cost a great deal more than the average steel wheel.
- Alloy wheels are also not nearly as strong as other wheel options. They are made out of a more flexible variety of metals, making them less sturdy. This can often come back as a huge issue later on.
- Because alloy wheels are highly recognizable, it can put your van in danger of being stolen or robbed. These shiny wheels catch the eye of many people and could lead to some unsavory people getting interested in your vehicle.
- Alloy wheels are not made to be driven off-road as they are softer than steel wheels. Going off-road in these kinds of wheels could lead to some pricey damage.
- Despite their high price, you aren’t really getting a good deal with alloy wheels as they may not stand the test of time. With their softer metal makeup, these wheels could need more repairs in the future.
Many Ford Transit Owners Replace the Wheels
Many Ford Transit owners do end up replacing the wheels on their van. This is often due to appearance reasons as these vehicles are not known for their flashy wheels.
Ford Transits also have quite small wheels for the size of vehicle you are getting. While this is actually a good thing overall, many people just don’t like the appearance of these small and plain wheels.
Besides visual reasons, many people also replace the wheels on their Ford Transit van because they are not good for off-road uses. These small wheels are not designed to go off-road and make for a very uncomfortable drive.
Many people want to be able to use their Ford Transit for off-road purposes, so they need to replace the wheels. Generally, larger wheels do the job and make it safer to take your Ford Transit off-road.
It is important to keep in mind that alloy wheels are not designed to go off-road. Their metal is far too soft and can quickly become irreparably damaged. Resulting in a very expensive bill afterward.