The drive from Vancouver to Toronto is a 41-hour drive in most instances. Of course, this will depend on the weather, traffic, the speed of your vehicle, and how often you stop. This trip is 2,722 miles long if you take the straightest route, there are other routes that will take longer.
As far as traveling goes, this is not a bad trip length-wise as the best route is practically a straight shot to Toronto. You will have to make sure you plan your route, as well as any delays, such as staying somewhere overnight.
You will also want to make sure that your vehicle is in good working order to handle the trip as it is a little less than two days worth of driving.
It Is a 41 Hour Drive
The drive from Vancouver to Toronto is a 41-hour drive, not too bad considering the distance you are making.
This time will vary depending on how much time you actually spend driving. If you take time to rest, go out to eat, or sightsee, this time will be a bit different.
It just depends on your goals for the trip. Do you want to get there as fast as possible or enjoy yourself along the way?
If you choose the fastest route, that is also the most common that goes straight from Vancouver to Toronto. You should get there in around 41 hours.
The Drive is About a Two Day Trip
The drive from Vancouver to Toronto is loosely a two-day trip, not overly long in terms of road trips. This time period will change according to several factors, however.
The trip will take longer if you decide to sightsee or make regular stops for food. It will also take a bit longer if you decide to get a hotel for the night to rest before finishing your trip.
The time of year could also interfere with your plans depending on whether it is winter or the rainy season. Icy roads and stormy weather could significantly slow down your progress and might even leave you stranded for a day or two.
Your progress could also depend on the levels of traffic that you encounter. You could try to avoid traffic-heavy areas by taking detours, but this might make the trip even longer.
This will also depend on the time of year, as vacation times will naturally be busier as people are traveling more frequently. Thus leading to traffic being backed up on popular roadways.
Driving From Vancouver to Toronto Costs Around $488.52
The drive from Vancouver to Toronto will cost you an estimated $488.52, with the cost per gallon being around $4.52. This will depend heavily on the current gas prices, how much gas your vehicle burns through, and the gas places you buy from.
Keep in mind that this amount is purely for gas expenses, it does not cover the variety of other costs you might have. Such as buying food, snacks, lodging, and any emergency expenses.
You will want to make sure that you have enough money to make up for all of those additional expenses as well as any unpredicted ones.
It is a good idea to carry some cash on you and your cards, just in case something happens. Some places also don’t accept cards, so it is a good idea to have a small amount of cash on hand.
You can also save a significant amount of money if you prepare your food for the trip instead of relying on fast food.
It Is Cheaper to Fly to Toronto From Vancouver
With all of these small expenses adding up, it is surprisingly more expensive to drive to Toronto from Vancouver than fly. This is because a roundtrip via plane ride is $135, depending on the time of year.
This is significantly cheaper since you do not have any gas expenses and do not need to buy as many necessities.
Getting a plane ride is also much faster as the trip from Vancouver to Toronto via plane is around 4 hours and 30 minutes. A significant difference from the 41 hours it takes to make the trip by vehicle.
This is the fastest and easiest way to make the trip as it requires very little actual travel by air. And you will make it to your destination in record time, cutting out the need for spending the night in a hotel.
This is why it might be more worthwhile to get a plane ride to Toronto to save a few hundred dollars. If you are making the trip via vehicle because you need to get your vehicle to Toronto, then that is a different story.
It is a Safe Driving Route
If you take the recommended driving route from Vancouver to Toronto that goes straight through the United States to Canada. You will be driving a very safe route through some beautiful states.
This is a fairly simple route that doesn’t require very much navigation or anyone who is very map savvy. It is basically a straight route to your destination.
The only issues you might run into are getting onto busy freeways or having to drive through busy cities. With some mild navigating skills, however, you may be able to shy away from these areas.
This trip will also be much more hazardous if you choose to drive during winter. Canada is known for its severe cold and frosty winters, so it is best to not drive during this time of the year.
Pros and Cons of Driving From Vancouver to Toronto
The drive from Vancouver to Toronto is not a bad drive by any means. It is a straight shot and puts you in the middle of some beautiful locations as you drive.
Before you take on such a long trip, however, you may want to consider the pros and cons. This can help you to better decide the best option for you and your priorities.
- You get to enjoy the sights as you go; this is a huge plus if you enjoy traveling and driving.
- You can stop at local areas as you drive and make a road trip out of it. This can be fun for you or your whole family.
- Driving from Vancouver to Toronto allows you to stay on the ground and avoids the hassle of traveling by air.
- By making this trip by car, you will be able to use your vehicle once you get to Toronto. Whereas a plane flight would leave you needing to find some mode of transportation.
- The trip is long and will probably require you to get a hotel room to sleep in overnight. This is an added expense that a plane trip would not require.
- It can be hard on your vehicle and cause wear on the tires, as this is a long trip that will require constant driving to make good time.
- Between gas and food expenses, it costs more to drive to Toronto than it would to fly by plane.
- Driving for such a long time could make you sleepy, which could easily become a safety risk if you can’t stay awake.
- You may find yourself in areas with limited food and gas options.
Pros and Cons of Flying From Vancouver to Toronto
Like driving to Toronto, there are pros and cons to choosing to fly to that destination as well. Which option you decide on will ultimately come down to your personal preferences and budget.
What option you choose will also depend on whether or not you need your vehicle in Toronto, as flying would, in that case, not be the ideal option.
If you are trying to decide between flying or driving to Toronto, here are some pros and cons to taking the trip by flight.
- Flying is by far the fastest way to get to Toronto from Vancouver and will allow you to be there within a handful of hours.
- It is a low-stress option as you do not have to do much of anything once you are at the airport. You could even sleep the whole way there if you wanted to.
- Flying is a cheaper option, shaving off several hundreds of dollars that you would otherwise have to spend to drive.
- Making the trip by plane is generally considered to be safer as you are traveling for a shorter amount of time. Creating fewer opportunities for something bad to go wrong.
- It isn’t ideal for those who are nervous about flying as it does involve some airtime as well as the stress of getting to your plane.
- Once you get to your destination, you will have to find a means of transport as you do not have a vehicle there.